Great furniture choices can do everything from making a small room look larger to transforming even the simplest home space into a grand and beautiful space. But, of course, the biggest challenge lies in finding stylish and contemporary furniture on a limited budget.
If you are looking to dress up your space on a budget, here are the 10 tips to keep in mind:
- Start with the core pieces: Focus on the most important pieces for any space first, e.g. a sturdy bed for a bedroom or an executive desk and chair for an office. The rest can come later, but core items should be a priority.
- Understand the materials used: There are many kinds of wood, plastic, fabrics, glazes, and other materials that are used to create furniture. Invest some time in learning about how they work and what they cost, so you can pick the right ones.
- Simple contemporary furniture works: Fancy embellished pieces tend to cost a lot more than their unadorned counterparts, and typically fit into any design scheme with ease. This leaves you a lot of room to get creative.
- Search for cheap furniture online: Look for deals available online, since websites do not have the same overheads as furniture stores and can offer better prices. Do not shy away from checking out used furniture either.
- Opt for multi-purpose designs: Multi-function home and office furniture is a huge trend, growing in popularity every day. Sofa-cum-beds and stools that double as end tables are great for compact spaces and will save you a bundle.
- Accessorize, customize or DIY it: You can keep your investment minimal by buying plain pieces and adding your own creative touch to dress them up. Colorful cushions, a splash of paint, trendy doorknobs… the possibilities are endless.
- Wait for items to go on sale: If you have been eyeing a gorgeous dining room set or the perfect garden seating, you will find that prices drop drastically if you wait till “sale season” when furniture stores sell old stock at huge markdowns.
- Same piece, better deal?: Furniture manufacturers often sell products through different retailers, who mark up the price as they choose. Shop around a little you could find the same item at a fraction of the price at another store.
- Amp up your negotiation skills: Price markups on furniture are normally huge, so you may be able to get a better deal if you haggle a little. If you can’t get the price lowered, try for a freebie, discounts on delivery and installation, etc.
- Shop in the international market: A sourcing agent can be invaluable when you’re buying furniture, especially in bulk. Shop from low-cost markets like China (the price difference justifies shipping costs) by hiring a China sourcing agent to help you find affordable, high-quality items.